A Study of Modified Stem Cells in Stable Ischemic Stroke
Use this UCSF questionnaire
STUDY ID: SB-STR01
to determine your eligiblity.
- Age 18-75 years
- Documented history of completed ischemic stroke in subcortical region of MCA or lenticulostriate artery with or without cortical involvement, with correlated findings preferably by MRI or by CT if MRI is contraindicated
- Between 6 months and 5 years post-stroke, and having a motor neurological deficit
- No significant further improvement with physical therapy/rehabilitation (confirmed by no change in NIHSS greater than ±1 within three weeks prior to enrollment)
- Able and willing to undergo computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and positron-emission tomography (PET) scans of the head
- Normal emotional status; i.e., no disabling psychological deficits
- History of more than 1 symptomatic stroke
- History or presence of any other major neurological disease
- Myocardial infarction within prior 6 months
- Known presence of any malignancy except squamous or basal cell carcinoma of the skin
- History of central nervous system (CNS) malignancy
- History of seizures or current use of antiepileptic medication
- Uncontrolled systemic illness, including, but not limited to: hypertension (systolic >150 mm Hg or diastolic >95 mm Hg); diabetes; renal, hepatic, or cardiac failure
- Uncontrolled psychiatric illness, including depression (Hamilton Score of >14)
- Use of neuroleptic drugs
- Botulinum toxin injection, phenol injection, intrathecal baclofen, or any other interventional treatments for spasticity (except bracing and splinting) within the previous 3 months
*Note: This list is not comprehensive.
Please consult your physician to help determine if you or someone you know is eligible.